Tour Of Cyprus - A Cycling For All event held in the island of Aphrodite
The Tour of Cyprus (ToC) is the only large-scale international cyclosportive event in the Republic of Cyprus. ToC is a professional multi stage endurance “Tour de France” style event and is open to amateurs and cyclosportive riders. ToC 2010 is aiming apart from local participations to encourage international cyclists to live their passion outside of their country and enable them to discover new horizons, in terms of both sport and culture.
The first ToC was staged in 2005 when a group of local cycling enthusiasts organized a three-day, 350 km ride on the island. In 2006, the event became part of the annual calendar of Podilatokinisi, the oldest and largest bicycling organization in the Republic of Cyprus. As of 2009, more than 50 local cyclists participated in a five-day event of 570 km. The 2009 ToC took place under the auspices of the Ministry of Communication and Works – an ambulance, four support vehicles and a broom bus crewed by ten volunteers escorted the peloton throughout the entire ride. The Cyprus police, the Cyprus Tourism Organization and a number of municipalities also provided support to the 2009 ToC.
The 2010 ToC took place between 25-28 March 2010 and was open to local and international participants, with over 100 cyclists taking part.
Riders from any group can enter the broom bus or a support car if they wish to interrupt at any time or due to emergency.
Each stage takes riders through the beautiful landscape of the Republic of Cyprus, with sections of the stages climbing into the Troodos Massif and along a number of coastal routes. There are also sections of the Tour that include rides through major cities and picturesque villages. The entire ride will be fully-supported.
ToC Goals and objectives
- To bring professional and amateur cyclists and teams to Cyprus to participate in a world class multi-stage tour of the Republic.
- To establish a significant multi-stage event on the international cycling calendar.
- To promote Cyprus worldwide as a cycling tourism destination – we want to introduce international cyclists to the island’s breathtaking mountain rides and Mediterranean vistas and its temperate spring and autumn months.
- To provide an opportunity for cyclists from all over Europe to socialize and make friends.
- To heighten awareness in Cyprus and throughout Europe of the ecological, economic and health benefits of cycling.
- To enable ToC participants and spectators to appreciate the beauty, cuisine and hospitality of Cyprus.
- To draw attention to the need for increased road safety and for “share the road” programs, both in Cyprus and abroad.
- To raise money for participating charitable organizations.
- To provide brand exposure for all of our sponsors.